Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Bull Shit or Reality

The most common expression or response I heard for many years from others was “I don’t’ believe it” when ever I would relate some of my earlier youthful experiences. Some found what I had to tell them as though I was just spinning yarns or such, or they were expanded stories or beyond the pale of normal youthful experiences. But the tales I told were true stories from my own past, and after a few years I gave up telling them because I was afraid I would get a reputation for making things up or even stretching the truth bordering on lies.
Like how do you tell a short story about how you felt as a six or seven year old child being shot at just for fun, or target practice and no less then your own brother and a cousin were the shooters just to see how close they could come without actually hitting you. Only I didn't know who was shooting at me and they were quite far away. That is only part of the story, but everyone thought it wasn't anything more than a tall yarn. In my youth I had quite a lot of what others thought of, as just plain bull shit, so most of my youthful experiences went untold except for those closest to me, and ever then I restricted many tales of my early experiences even to them.
This not sharing of certain experiences went on for many years. Then by the time I reached approximately 55 years old or such, when engaged in just general conversations with people, I started hearing a new phrase from people in regards to things or statements that I might say, this new phrase was “I don't understand”
Now if someone said to you “I don't understand”; how can you explain where you’re coming from without explaining the reasoning behind your comments which could amount to a very large book or story? For myself it takes me right back to many of my life's experiences that I know very few if any, would understand anyway. In plain language many others will never be able to understand without the same or at least similar experiences.
Now, I understand were generational ignorance comes from regarding things like American history regardless the number of written explanations or stories. They just don't understand, primarily because they perceive all that is not of their own experience as false, and even when some things can be verified they still doubt all the rest that can not be verified as just story telling or spinning yarns. Do we Americans have to be enslaved in order for us to understand what its like or to understand how it feels to each individual? Thee predominate fiction and modern deceit by every day average people; never was the historical way of relaying real stories for their posterity. This I know personally!!!
GAP

No comments: